Latest Reading

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu Oct 16 12:45:22 EDT 2003

I found a second-hand copy of A Sudden Wild Magic at the coast last week,
but haven't been able to read it yet. Am looking forward to doing so
(although I did like the cats in the early chapters). I haven't heard much
discussion on the book yet so don't know what to expect :-)

In other news: I've read the first Lemony Snickett book and have another two
waiting. Aimee was traumatised by reading this.
Discovered Isabelle Allende's short stories which don't actually make me
want to read her long fiction - just more short ones. There is some
beautiful writing there. Small step from "low" fantasy to magic realism.
Am working through Umberto Eco's misreadings and having fun.
And I have discovered Cecilia Dart-Thornton. I met her at a dinner last year
but hadn't got around to reading the Bitterbynde trilogy (cultural cringe
factor? I hope not).The first book was a little slow to start with, but once
the main character is out of Isse Tower and comes down out of the skyships
(although aerial pirate attacks were a lot of fun) into the forest, she hits
her stride. Ornate, bejeweled, gorgeous descriptions, like stepping into a
Kinuko Craft painting (www.kycraft.com). Also involves a retelling of almost
every single folk tale in England and large parts of Europe. Second book
moved from enchanted medieval forests into magical renaissance courtly
tales - and there I had to stop. The third book comes out in paperback next
months and I am having great difficulties concentrating on my studies.
Anyone else read these books?

Kathleen.