Suggestions for a text

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 21 13:03:35 EDT 2003

>One query.  What's ESL?  English as Second Language?

Yes.

>  If so, I shudder
>to think what an "ESL version" of a book is!  Or is it simply annotated
>with glossary notes and things?

According to my colleague, it is shorter, with easier vocab. This is why I
can't bear the idea of teaching it.

I think I might go with Sallyo's "Dragonsong" suggestion - I was thinking
of teaching the film Bend it Like Beckham, and Dragonsong is quite
thematically similar, so it would work well. ie I can make them write a
comparative essay about pursuing ambitions that your parents don't approve.

Robyn