Memory and Cooper

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Oct 21 10:56:34 EDT 2003

> >I read Robert Graves after I became a pagan, and I felt that it was a work
> >of fantasy fiction in the mythological tradition, based loosely on _The
> >Golden Bough_, which I was able to struggle through more of. (Despite the
> >extremely biased and twisted ethnography of _The Golden Bough_, it is at
> >least internally consistent.)
>
> Not quite sure what you mean by you read Robert Graves. I was referring to
> the specific poem (a translation of Amergin) by Graves, quoted in Cooper.

Ah. I thought you were referring to _The White Goddess_, because just
quoting a poem -- let alone a translation of someone else's
religious poem-- doesn't mean you agree with their spirituality.

People quote the Eddas in fantasy all the time, even in fantasy which is
Atheist...

> I am not sure what you mean by spiritual. I would suggest that an
> understanding of "powerful forces and mythological powers" may well be a
> decent definition of spirituality as I see it. I don't think spirituality
> is a quality of gods; it is a quality of humans who feel a connection to
> the numinous - whether that is specifically related to a god or not.

I'm not sure I'm following you here. If you assume 'spiritual', means
relating to 'a connection things outside/beyond oneself' I can follow your
argument, but one can have a connection to things outside oneself (for
instance, the 'spirit of individuality' as in Ayn Rand) while still being
an atheist. One can disbelieve in a God or Gods in the traditional sense
and still believe in things somewhat higher than oneself, if one chooses.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn