Suggestions for a text

Belben, Philip ( Generation ) Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 04:22:51 EDT 2003

Robyn wrote:

> I have another teaching challenge for next semester. I will be
teaching a
> bunch of 16 year old exchange students from Mexico. They are selected
on
> the basis of English language ability, but that said, my colleague is
> teaching them an ESL version of Brave New World. I need a suggestion
for a
> novel to teach. I would like a sophisticated YA novel, preferably in
the sf
> and F genre. It needs to be reasonably short (the ESL business, which
cuts
> out Merlin Conspiracy), but also not too shallow, so there will be
some
> themes to discuss. I suspect 16 year olds think themselves above Harry
> Potter. Any suggestions?

Thoughts that went through my head were, who writes good, short books?
Of course.  Tanith Lee.  Her best short books are more children's than
YA, but you could try "The Winter Players".  Her best books always seem
to be out of print, though: "The Silver Metal Lover", "When the Lights
Go Out" (This might be good if you can find it.  Wordplay, but nothing
difficult to understand.), "Drinking Sapphire Wine" (Language may be
hard in this one.  Make sure you get both volumes - it's still short -
since in US editions I think DSW is the title only of the second
volume).

One query.  What's ESL?  English as Second Language?  If so, I shudder
to think what an "ESL version" of a book is!  Or is it simply annotated
with glossary notes and things?

Philip.

prohibited.

Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipienti
 s responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.