Suggestions for a text

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 21 01:07:13 EDT 2003

Hey all

I have another teaching challenge for next semester. I will be teaching a
bunch of 16 year old exchange students from Mexico. They are selected on
the basis of English language ability, but that said, my colleague is
teaching them an ESL version of Brave New World. I need a suggestion for a
novel to teach. I would like a sophisticated YA novel, preferably in the sf
and F genre. It needs to be reasonably short (the ESL business, which cuts
out Merlin Conspiracy), but also not too shallow, so there will be some
themes to discuss. I suspect 16 year olds think themselves above Harry
Potter. Any suggestions?

Robyn