Hello?

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Oct 20 17:02:46 EDT 2003

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 02:17  PM, Charles Butler wrote:

> Irina
>> I've just been rereading Diane Duane's _Stealing the Elf-King's Roses_
>> and it struck me that it's essentially the same story as _The Merlin
>> Conspiracy_: imbalance in the worlds perceived, dealt with and finally
>> solved by unlikely people who are caught up in it. With the major
>> reshuffling at the end, too.
>
> I haven't read Duane OR Bujold, but here's another question on the same
> lines. I just read Le Guin's *The Other Wind* - which I liked a lot,
> btw -
> and was reminded strongly of the *Amber Spyglass*, in its treatment of
> the
> dead, to wit -
> they are kept in a dour, unchanging Hades-like place due to some
> mishandling of the arrangements for the universe by higher powers, and
> when
> this is corrected are set free - which in both cases means that they
> pop
> like little soap bubbles and return to the natural world. Coincidence?
> Probably...
>
> Charlie

Yes . . . my partner and I have been reading "The Amber Spyglass" aloud
(this is my 3rd read) and made that connection in my head. I wonder if
there's some strange, cross-fertilization going on here (nothing
nefarious, of course). I'm wonder if Le Guin's afterlife (first
explored in "A Wizard of Earthsea" back in 1968) planted some seeds in
Pullman's mind. And I wonder if Pullman's "correction" (2000) had some
influence on Le Guin's "correction" (2001). Those last two dates are
too close together for this speculation to have much hope of being true
at the end.

I know that Pullman hadn't read Narnia till he was an adult. I wonder
if/when he read Le Guin.

widdy

For us, my mentality, my religion belongs to me and I will deal
personally with that. I am a public person in a very diverse society,
and I don't think I can impose every limit of my morality on others,
because I don't want others to impose their morality on me.
- Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net