Hello?

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 15:17:33 EDT 2003

Irina
> I've just been rereading Diane Duane's _Stealing the Elf-King's Roses_
> and it struck me that it's essentially the same story as _The Merlin
> Conspiracy_: imbalance in the worlds perceived, dealt with and finally
> solved by unlikely people who are caught up in it. With the major
> reshuffling at the end, too.

I haven't read Duane OR Bujold, but here's another question on the same
lines. I just read Le Guin's *The Other Wind* - which I liked a lot, btw -
and was reminded strongly of the *Amber Spyglass*, in its treatment of the
dead, to wit -
they are kept in a dour, unchanging Hades-like place due to some
mishandling of the arrangements for the universe by higher powers, and when
this is corrected are set free - which in both cases means that they pop
like little soap bubbles and return to the natural world. Coincidence?
Probably...

Charlie