Memory and Cooper

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Oct 20 13:54:16 EDT 2003

> A fair point - but what she quotes is more than just an anedote, and it's
> more than just a quote in passing. Effectively, she made a religious
> invocation into the device that shapes the plot of a major part of the
> book. Plus, she conflates the quest object of her story and the subject of
> the invocation. I am not saying I don't like it, but I am saying it endows
> the story with a deep spirituality. That's why it's weird that she says she
> is an atheist. I think all the books in the sequence have an underlying
> spirituality. It isn't Christian, but atheist and non-Christian are not
> synonyms.

Perhaps we are talking at cross-purposes, but I'm not sure.

I read Robert Graves after I became a pagan, and I felt that it was a work
of fantasy fiction in the mythological tradition, based loosely on _The
Golden Bough_, which I was able to struggle through more of. (Despite the
extremely biased and twisted ethnography of _The Golden Bough_, it is at
least internally consistent.)

Now, this was long after I read Susan Cooper, and I did NOT see it as
'spiritual' but as fantasy based. Perhaps we are using a different
definition of 'spiritual'-- there are no personal Gods or Goddesses, only
powerful forces and mythological powers. So perhaps what I mean by
'spiritual' is not the same as what you mean by 'spiritual'?

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn