Memory and Cooper

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 20 11:51:11 EDT 2003

>I would assume that she read it at some point. One does, you know, even if
>one isn't interested in paganism. I can quote the Christian bible and
>often do when I find it amusing (like the story of how Rachel stole her
>father's household gods and kept him from getting them back...)

A fair point - but what she quotes is more than just an anedote, and it's
more than just a quote in passing. Effectively, she made a religious
invocation into the device that shapes the plot of a major part of the
book. Plus, she conflates the quest object of her story and the subject of
the invocation. I am not saying I don't like it, but I am saying it endows
the story with a deep spirituality. That's why it's weird that she says she
is an atheist. I think all the books in the sequence have an underlying
spirituality. It isn't Christian, but atheist and non-Christian are not
synonyms.

Robyn