Paladin of Souls (was Re: Hello?)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 20 03:08:23 EDT 2003

My excuse for being quiet was moving house and having no computer. It did
give me time to read Paladin of Souls.

>Well, how about some quick impressions of Bujold's latest, for those
>interested.  This will be quick, because I'm in midterm hell at the
>moment.  No spoilers, really, beyond character names you get from the
>flap copy, but just to be safe:

>While in background history, Ista reminds me more of Ekaterin than
>Cordelia, she has a very Cordelia feel to me.  I can't place it.  Some
>of it was her mental language (At one point, she thinks something to the
>effect of "eat rage, woman"), but on later thought, it occured to me
>that all three women share that same inner voice.  If anyone knows what
>I found so C-like about Ista, I'd love to hear it.

I think it is the rage, but also they have the same maternal quality. That
is, they let their adult children get on with it. I thought it was
wonderfully understated how Ista is clearly proud and fond of Iselle, and
how she is squashing any interfering tendencies.

>In retrospect, this puzzle made me realise that Cazaril in CoC (or
>should I say Caz-Aral?  Heh) is very like what a young Aral could have
>become, without Ezar, Piotr, and Cordelia.  A similar sort of weary
>rebirth.  Now I want to reread CoC with that in mind.

I love the pun, but I don't think I agree about the character. Cazaril is
Miles in a more normal body. It's the business about sacrificing himself on
the ship - Miles is always undergoing physical martyrdom in order to rescue
someone.

>I expected not to like this one, because I thought CoC was such a lovely
>standalone book.  But it was fantastic.

I totally agree. I was quite dubious about Ista as protagonist, but it was
wonderful.

I so want to find out how much Chaucer Bujold has been reading. The Wife of
Bath reference is really obvious, but on a second reading, I am finding
lots of linguistic echoes. Like, Ista waits for the sun to run its course -
which is how C describes the sun in the beginning of the GP.

Robyn