Susan Cooper

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 20 02:59:30 EDT 2003

I agree with a lot of Melissa's comments on Cooper, but (oh, heresy!) I
think there is a problem with the memory erasure at the end. The crux for
me is, that one of the themes of the book is the moral development of the
children as they deal with the complex issues they are faced with in the
course of the books. Making them all forget at the end nullifies this
important theme, and to me, it has been just as important as all the moral
thematic elements of Light v Dark.

Okay, so maybe it is consistent, but as a reader I still feel betrayed.
Cooper needed to find a way that they could keep the character development
they gained, and not make it some slushy romantic ending where Bran is
clearly going to have a teenage pash on Jenny, and that's the whole extent
of their maturity.

Robyn