Paladin of Souls (was Re: Hello?)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Mon Oct 20 01:57:11 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Emma Comerford wrote:

|It was great to get this message, as I was starting to suspect my poor computer of doing
|strange things to my web-based email!
|
|What we need is a controversial review of a DWJ book to get discussions started again :)

Well, how about some quick impressions of Bujold's latest, for those
interested.  This will be quick, because I'm in midterm hell at the
moment.  No spoilers, really, beyond character names you get from the
flap copy, but just to be safe:

While in background history, Ista reminds me more of Ekaterin than
Cordelia, she has a very Cordelia feel to me.  I can't place it.  Some
of it was her mental language (At one point, she thinks something to the
effect of "eat rage, woman"), but on later thought, it occured to me
that all three women share that same inner voice.  If anyone knows what
I found so C-like about Ista, I'd love to hear it.

In retrospect, this puzzle made me realise that Cazaril in CoC (or
should I say Caz-Aral?  Heh) is very like what a young Aral could have
become, without Ezar, Piotr, and Cordelia.  A similar sort of weary
rebirth.  Now I want to reread CoC with that in mind.

Other similarities between worlds: Dendarii mountain dialect, belike.
And the formerly bisexual hero (Aral -- "He used to be.  Now he's
monogomous."  -Cordelia paraphrased, in _Barrayar_, I think.) or the
bisexual former hero (Ias).

I expected not to like this one, because I thought CoC was such a lovely
standalone book.  But it was fantastic.

-deborah
--
Start a revolution.  Stop hating your body.