Susan Cooper

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sat Oct 11 11:29:25 EDT 2003

> I think I pretty much agree with you.  The only difference is that when I
> was young and impressionable, I didn't really see the series in the same
> way I do now, and that's the one thing about it that I think is
> interesting.  I find it thought-provoking now, but I didn't find it that
> thought-provoking when I was nine.

I'm having the opposite experience-- when I read the books at the age of
nine, it was fairly clear to me that the Light wasn't the ultimate good--
just the opposite of the Dark. Having eliminated the Dark, they then had
to remove themselves in order to let humanity get on with their destiny.
Bleah. Nasty, but I had to admit it was in keeping with the tenor of the
whole series-- that the Light would do what it had to do to defeat the
Dark, even jerking people around, but the difference between the Light and
the Dark was that the Dark enjoyed hurting people and ruining their lives,
whereas the Light was perfectly willing to let people work out their own
destinies when defeating the Dark wasn't involved.

Now, listening to you all talk about it, I look again at it and wonder
whether Cooper was far too zealous in portraying the Light as being
willing to do whatever seemed necessary; it's a very unattractive picture,
I agree.

(Then again, I was 14 before someone finally convinced me that the Narnia
books WERE a Christian allegory and not just another dying-and-reborn-God
theme... so I often miss basic stuff...)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Somedays the struggle just gets tired..." -- Renee Senolges