Susan Cooper

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat Oct 11 10:58:16 EDT 2003

I agree with an awful lot of Melissa's last post - but I'm not sure I would
go quite so far in uncoupling  Light/Good, Dark/Bad. Yes the Light is often
ruthless, and even cruel - though always with the ends-and-means proviso
that it acts to prevent still greater cruelty in the long run. But if this
really is a battle of two opposing principles in which the role human choice
and action is incidental (though important, as you say - but important only
in the functional sense that humans are needed in order to fulfil some of
their prophecies, etc), and in which neither side can be called good or bad,
at least as humans might understand those terms, then it leaves open the
question of why Bran and the Drews should want to help the Light at all,
often at great personal effort and risk.

The reason is, surely, that should the Dark win the struggle against the
Light there will be evil consequences for humanity. Cooper is sometimes a
little vague about what these would be (one doesn't anticipate that
Buckinghamshire will become a modern Mordor, even if Windsor Great Park is
uncomfortably close to Slough), but she gives one very clear example of how
the otherworldly battle might impact on ordinary lives near the beginning of
*Silver on the Tree*, through the racism shown against young Manny Singh.
Reflecting on this incident, Will realises that race hate might be one
conduit through which a triumphant Dark might sweep into the human world.
Without some such threat of moral consequences, humanity might just as well
treat the battle of the Light and Dark as a grand son et lumiere
entertainment - full of sound and fury but for them, at least, signifying
nothing.

I don't think this need threaten free will, incidentally. Caradog Prichard
in the Grey King is a good example of someone whose mind is 'taken over' by
the Dark: but he had to invite them in - as of course did the Walker.

Now I must dash, so excuse any typos - I'm taking the kids to the circus!

Charlie