Memory and Cooper

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Oct 10 17:18:51 EDT 2003

Deborah remarked:

>On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 JOdel at aol.com wrote:
>|That's one of the things that I despise about Cooper in this series. She has
>|given us a set of heroes who are "heroes" for no other reason than because she
>|tells us so.
>
>And because they were born to it, and are naturally heroes,
>effortlessly.  Feh.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair, thinking about it.  Will doesn't have it
easy, even though he is an Old One.  There is for instance the little
detail of his having a serious illness just so that he can be manoeuvred
into Wales at the critical moment for the Light's concerns -- he isn't
given the option, he's just shoved around like a pawn.  And neither Simon
nor Barnaby is effortlessly heroic, and nor, come to that, is Bran.
*Everyone* is a pawn of the forces of Light and Dark, really, unless they
are part of the Old Magic and pawn to that instead.  Those books are
wonderful, but they are very disheartening in the way they don't really
seem to do more than pay lip-service to the business of free will.  Once
you have chosen your side, that seems to be the last use of free will you
get, unless it looks as if you might be subborned to the other side
somehow, and then there is great play made about how everyone has free
will...  Like the Walker, or the Painter, and it is ok for those two to be
destroyed because they *chose* to go with the Dark.

If they had chosen the Light, though, it would have destroyed them just as
casually, or so it seems.  Well, no, it would have destroyed them in a
caring context or some such bromide.  Merriman would have been terribly
upset... but that wouldn't stop him from doing it, or even cause him to try
to prevent it.

Are they books in which the end is always likely to be shown as justifying
the means?  That might be why I find myself saying "Yes, but..." at them,
maybe.

Minnow