Memory and Cooper

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Oct 10 16:52:30 EDT 2003

When I first read in the Writer's Autobiography series that Susan Cooper
was an atheist, at first I was really surprised.  But then it occurred to
me that the Light really was not being portrayed as the absolutely good
side, as much as Cooper tells us that this is the case and as much as I
totally went along with that view when I first read the series when I was
nine.  It's hard for me to know what to do with this - on the one hand, I
think this is obvious enough to me as an older reader (esp. given the
passage that Charles mentions btw. Will and John Rowland) that I feel it
has to be intentional - on the other hand, if this is part of the point of
the series (and, since it was a favorite of mine as a child, I _want_ to
think that now), why does it feel so much like I'm just making an excuse
for it ;-)?

					---Kyra

---
"We should have each other to tea, huh?  We should have each other with
cream, then curl up by the fire and sleep for awhile.  It's the grooviest
thing!  It's the perfect dream."
			---Robert Smith (the Cure), "Lovecats"