Memory and Cooper

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 12:37:07 EDT 2003

In a message dated 10/10/03 3:37:40 AM, owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

<< >How sane he will be, living that lie, presumably depends on how thoroughly
>his mind is raped.  That's what enforced forgetfulness is, to me:
>mind-rape.  I cannot like it, and it tarnishes the Light for me if it is
>the Light that does this thing.

It is so inconsistent with previous policies of the Light, too. Because all
through the series, Merriman makes hard choices for people, saying the
Light is not kind. >>

No. It is not. It is all but indestinguishable from the Dark.

That's one of the things that I despise about Cooper in this series. She has
given us a set of heroes who are "heroes" for no other reason than because she
tells us so. There seems no other factor apart from longivety to regard them
as such. They have no respect for the individual human regardless of their
pronouncements about the "good of humanity".  Anything that furthers their aims
is permissable and "appropriate".

Typical cold-war thinking.

It reminds me quite forcably of the deeply engrioned corruption in the
Wizarding World's society as shown us by Rowling in Order of the Phoenix. (Yet
another series in which wizards casually decide what memories normal people are
entitled to keep. Rowling is of the proper age to have read Cooper as a child.)
Except that in Rowling, there is a clear awareness that this is a *problem*.
You don't ever get that awareness from Cooper.

And I especially respect DWJ's sidestep around this particular issue in Dark
Lord, where Scales does not take the memory of the attack by the soldiers away
from Blade's sister (I've blanked on her name), but, instead, "distances" it.
She remembers it. She knows that it happened. But it is to her as if it
happened "a long time ago" so it won't keep tripping her up in the middle of the
present crisis.