Millie or Milly?

Belben, Philip ( Generation ) Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 10:27:27 EDT 2003

Minnow, quoting Kristiina:

>>I'd like to ask you what Millie's name is in the "original" english
edition
>>(published in 1977)? Is it Millie or Milly? Could it be that the text
has
>>been revised or edited for the 2001 edition (the edition I read was
published
>>in the new Chronicles of Chrestomanci series, in 2001). The
translation was
>>published in 1980, based on the 1977 edition of Charmed Life.
>
> In the English Puffin of *Charmed Life*, published in 1979, she is
Milly.

I have only seen "Milly" in Charmed Life.

> *But* -- in the first edition *The Lives of Christopher Chant*,
published
> in 1988 by Methuen, when the Goddess is asked "Then what am I to call
you?"
> (instead of "the Living Asheth") she replies "Millie, like the girl in
the
> school books", and I feel pretty confident that this is the same
person
> Christopher marries when he grows up.

Likewise the early paperback that I have.  (Mandarin?  Teens?  Possibly
even Mammoth.  Can't remember.  Probably Teens, since that had the same
owner as Methuen)

> I am told that this is just a case of a mistake having been made at
some
> point, in a very minor matter of name-spelling, and not corrected, or
not
> noticed, at proof of some edition.  I has never been the same from
book to
> book, nor even from one edition to another of the same book.  So it
isn't
> that the translator changed it, necessarily, but that the edition from
> which the translation was made had "Milly".
>
> It is meant to be all "Millie" now, because the stellar Stella is firm
that
> it ought to be consistent from book to book, but in previous editions
it
> has varied.

Zog!

I found the change of spelling an interesting aspect of Milly's
character.  My theory was that the ex-Goddess chose the name "Millie",
until she went to school.  There she realised that she didn't want to be
called after the heroine of all those awful school stories after all,
and changed the spelling to "Milly" at the first opportunity.  But with
the new policy, we lose another wonderful opportunity to speculate.  (I
love the way DWJ's books always provide plenty of opportunity to
speculate!)

Philip (coming briefly out of lurkdom)

PS My spelling checker objects to "Milly" but is quite happy with
"Millie".

prohibited.

Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipienti
 s responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.