ancient thread

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 6 00:00:16 EDT 2003

>I suspect that in order not to do it willy-nilly one needs to know that the
>infinitive exists.

Well, for my introductory composition students, I teach a couple of general
rules for sentence structure that cover infinitive splitation without
specifying it exactly. "Don't separate the parts of a verb" covers it,
without using scary technical terms.

>Like etiquette books they often disagree with one another, in my experience.

The solution to this is simple: one should only read Miss Manners.

Robyn