Writers conferences and the like

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 4 12:57:48 EDT 2003

>The narrator is presumably also a wizard. I do wonder, though, how the
>ordinary characters account for the consequent gaps in their memories, which
>in the case of the Dark is Rising (I suspect that's one of works you've got
>your sights on?) includes most of the last few school holidays. Perhaps they
>think they're going mad?

I was absolutely furious with Cooper when I read the ending of Silver on
the Tree. It is such a stupid ending, and it undoes so much of what the
books do - what's the point of going to all that trouble to triumph over
evil if you forget all about it? One of the best things about Fire and
Hemlock is how it addresses the stupidity of such an ending. It' hard to
believe people wouldn't remember something, and given that all the
characters are brave and intelligent and infinitely perservering in the
books, how is it possible they would suddenly just let a mystery lie?

Robyn