Retold Fairy Tales

Fri Oct 3 10:08:13 EDT 2003

>Our instructor clarified in class on Tuesday that at least one should be
>a picture book, but that the other two could be for any age, even adults.
>The key thing she wants for this assignment is that the versions of the
>tale be vwry different in any numebr of ways, such as style of language,
>tone,
>setting, etc--as different from each other as possible, as that is to be
>the point of our paper: a comparison of how different fairy tale versions
>can be while still telling the same basic story.

There was a whole slew of Rumpelstiltskin books out recently.  "The
Rumpelstiltskin Problem" by Vivian Vande Velde offers SEVERAL short story
versions of the tale (the whole book is short stories, all about R.)
"Spinners" by Donna Jo Napoli; "Straw Into Gold" by Gary Schmidt uses the R.
story as a jumping-off point.
All are YA at my library (gr. 7-12)

Alison