Slightly OT: fairy tales

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Oct 2 15:53:32 EDT 2003

Laurie:

>Our instructor clarified in class on Tuesday that at least one should be
>a picture book, but that the other two could be for any age, even adults.
>The key thing she wants for this assignment is that the versions of the
>tale be vwry different in any numebr of ways, such as style of language,
>tone,
>setting, etc--as different from each other as possible, as that is to be
>the point of our paper: a comparison of how different fairy tale versions
>can be while still telling the same basic story.

I haven't even been reading posts carefully, so apologies if this has
been mentioned already, but _The Rough-Face Girl_ might make a really
good picture-book Cinderella to compare with others, like _Ella
Enchanted_.

On the recommendations (thanks for sharing the list btw), just wanted
to add that my two have read _Saffy's Angel_ and _Indigo Star_,
(Hilary McKay) and heartily recommend both.  And what about Virginia
Euwer Wolff?   _Make Lemonade_ and _The Mozart Season_ are both more
than 5 years old, but I think I heard she had some more recent,
possibly even a sequel to _Make Lemonade_.  Someone here will know!
Definitely non-fantastical and well worth reading.

Hallie.