Slightly OT: fairy tales

Kale lskale at metaplaxia.net
Thu Oct 2 15:47:26 EDT 2003

At 04:43 PM 10/1/2003 -0500, Laurie wrote:

>Our instructor clarified in class on Tuesday that at least one should be
>a picture book, but that the other two could be for any age, even adults.
>The key thing she wants for this assignment is that the versions of the
>tale be vwry different in any numebr of ways, such as style of language,
>tone,
>setting, etc--as different from each other as possible, as that is to be
>the point of our paper: a comparison of how different fairy tale versions
>can be while still telling the same basic story.  So I guess I could use
>_Fir and Hemlock_, _Tam Lin_, et al, except that _Fire and Hemlock_, while
>I adore it as a reader, daunts me a bit as an (student) writer. So very
>complex.  So any
>suggestions of three very different versions of a fairy tale, one of which
>is a picture book, would be very much appreciated!

Oh, in that case, Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling published seven anthologies
of adult retellings of fairy tales.  So you could use DWJ's "Puss in Boots"
and there's "Roach in Loafers" By Roberta Lannes (Ruby Slippers, Golden
Tears) and "Puss" by Esther M. Friesner (Snow White, Blood Red)

Kale
(a little preoccupied with the marquis de Carabas and Puss in Boots, having
watched Neverwhere recently)