slightly Ot: fairy tales

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Oct 2 08:39:27 EDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 JOdel at aol.com wrote:

> > There are at least two versions of 'Tam Lin' written for younger
> > readers -picture books by Susan Cooper and Jane Yolen, both called
> > *Tam Lin*. If only you could find one more...
> >

> The Perilous Gard: Elizabeth Marie Pope. Target age about 10. Very good
> retelling, even if there are changes (i.e., no pregnancy).

See, I don't think of The Perilous Gard as a *retelling*, because it
refers to the ballads. It's like Fire & Hemlock, in that the queen has
been trapping people for years, and this is what happens this particular
time. It's a rehappening. Polly's not pregnant either. And Kate and
Christopher aren't named Janet and Thomas.