Slightly OT: fairy tales

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 1 19:04:26 EDT 2003

>Our instructor clarified in class on Tuesday that at least one should be
>a picture book, but that the other two could be for any age, even adults.
>The key thing she wants for this assignment is that the versions of the
>tale be vwry different in any numebr of ways, such as style of language,
>tone,
>setting, etc--as different from each other as possible, as that is to be
>the point of our paper: a comparison of how different fairy tale versions
>can be while still telling the same basic story.  So I guess I could use
>_Fir and Hemlock_, _Tam Lin_, et al, except that _Fire and Hemlock_, while
>I adore it as a reader, daunts me a bit as an (student) writer. So very
>complex.  So any
>suggestions of three very different versions of a fairy tale, one of which
>is a picture book, would be very much appreciated!

Okay, in that case, there is a picture book called Happy Frog by Hiawyn
Oram, which about a frog who turns into a princess,  and a YA novel called
The Frog Princess by ED Baker, which is quite funny, and an interesting
twist of the frog prince story. You could use another frog princess
version, or a frog prince version to compare.

Robyn