Slightly OT: fairy tales

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 1 17:43:40 EDT 2003

Do you want picture books or chapter books? There are a couple of good
Frog
Prince/ss picture books where the story is turned around in various ways.
Or do you want novels, particularly?

Our instructor clarified in class on Tuesday that at least one should be
a picture book, but that the other two could be for any age, even adults.
The key thing she wants for this assignment is that the versions of the
tale be vwry different in any numebr of ways, such as style of language,
tone,
setting, etc--as different from each other as possible, as that is to be
the point of our paper: a comparison of how different fairy tale versions
can be while still telling the same basic story.  So I guess I could use
_Fir and Hemlock_, _Tam Lin_, et al, except that _Fire and Hemlock_, while
I adore it as a reader, daunts me a bit as an (student) writer. So very
complex.  So any
suggestions of three very different versions of a fairy tale, one of which
is a picture book, would be very much appreciated!

Laurie