slightly Ot: fairy tales

Wed Oct 1 16:55:08 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:23:17 -0400 (EDT), Kyla Tornheim wrote:

>> Donna Jo Napoli is probably the reigning queen of fairy tale retellings, if
>> only in terms of sheer volume.
>
>I think her Frog Prince retelling is younger (10? 8? I'm bad at telling
>intended reading ages); _Zel_ (Rapunzel) is a bit disturbing, if I
>remember correctly--not as much as _Deerskin_, certainly, but probably for
>older readers. I also read _Spinners_, which I liked, and _The Magic
>Circle_, again a bit disturbing but in a good way. I can't, unfortunately,
>remember which if any fairy tales they're retelling.

_The Magic Circle_ is the Hansel and Gretel one, which I think I may read as
soon as I get out from under all these responsibilities I have for the next
month.  I've heard it's fairly dark, what with casting out of demons and
all.  _Spinners_ is Rumpelstiltskin, but it starts with the true father of
the "miller's daughter" of the story and has an interesting twist.

Melissa Proffitt