Identifying with characters

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Nov 30 08:23:34 EST 2003

I think perhaps 'identifying with' is too broad a term for something that
may or may not include any of the following:

a) caring about what happens to a character, just as one might about a
friend, or (ideally) any real person
b) noticing a similarity (literal or metaphorical) between the character's
situation and one's own
c) noticing a similarity between the character's personality and one's own
d) approving of the character and the character's actions

I often do a), sometimes b) and d), but hardly ever c). The last point was
brought home to me strongly the other month when I read Hope Mirrlees's
*Lud-in-the-Mist* and noticed how surprised I was to find the main
character's reactions to things (and especially death) so much like my own -
it reminded me that this hardly ever happens.

Charlie