Off Topic Fantasy query

Belben, Philip ( Generation ) Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 04:06:17 EST 2003

Sallyo relays a query from her son:

> "I'm trying to remember a book I read a while ago. It started off with
> a white sorcerer appearing in a dungeon to take the female occupant to
> another dimension, but during the journey, they are attacked by a
'black'
> sorcerer. The winner of this attack is determined by what the female
> 'thinks'. Any ideas?"

My first thought is "Sorcerer's Legacy" by Janny Wurts...

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

(spoiler space)

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

... in which, in the sorcerers' world, the crown prince is under a
curse, making him impotent, and thus ineligible for the throne.  The
woman being abducted is 2 days pregnant - too soon to be detectable -
and the good sorcerer wants to marry her to the prince before anyone
finds out, so he can take the throne even if they don't manage to lift
the curse.

Ring any bells?

Philip (emerging very briefly from lurkdom!)

PS this was the first JW I read, on the recommendation of a friend who'd
just heard that I liked DWJ.  I'm not terribly keen, and in this case I
do _not_ like the principle that only more black magic can lift a curse
imposed through black magic.

by those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact us, delete the message from your computer and destroy any copies. Any distribution or copying without our prior permission is
Prohibited.

Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the

Registered addresses:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.