Spirited Away and Howl

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Nov 24 20:08:29 EST 2003

Charlie mused:

>Months after watching the film, it's only just occurred to me that in
>Spirited Away we have a film about a girl/young woman who takes refuge in a
>castle (of sorts), getting a menial job there by bullying the reluctant
>owner into accepting her, then making herself indispensible. She also forms
>alliances with the creature responsible for powering and heating the place
>and with the owner's right-hand man. Am I going crazy, or were some of the
>ideas from *Howl* slopping around in Miyazake's (sp?) brain well before he
>got round to doing the book proper?

Well, the film has been being made for quite a while, and the negotiations
over it had been going on for quite a while before they started making the
film, and perhaps he had encountered it even before he started to buy the
film rights, so it wouldn't be too surprising if he'd come across it
several years ago.  I don't know what the lead time was on *Spirited Away*,
but would it have been more than about three years in the making?

Minnow