pronouncing Neil Gaiman

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Nov 24 20:08:25 EST 2003

Deborah wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
>|Deborah commented
>|>Interesting.  'Round these parts, I'd pronounce that second name
>|>"Leeman".
>|
>|Where's that to?  I haven't met anyone who had the name and said it that
>|way, and I'd've noticed, because it was my name for twenty years.  My
>|family don't, and I don't think John, or Rosamund, or Lotte did.  How about
>|the banking family?  (I haven't ever met one of them.)
>
>among the Jews of New England, and in formerly German areas of
>Pennsylvania is where I have heard my pronunciation.

Interesting -- thank you.

I've also had it pointed out that an explanation for "Gaiman" pronounced
"Guyman" might be if "ai" is being pronounced as it is in the German city
of Mainz, so a German origin for *that* as a pronunciation would make
sense.

But the ancestor who had the name Lehmann and came here from Germany
definitely did say "layman" rather than "leeman", so I'm not really better
off.  Maybe if it just means "farmer" or something, it would be a fairly
widespread name, and  it's a from different dialect area of Germany than
the New England ones are.

Minnow