Teaching books (was Re: Pratchett)

meparks at mtholyoke.edu meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Nov 24 16:28:58 EST 2003

Quoting Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>:

> My biggest problem is keeping her under the illusion that her mom knows
> best.  I have to limit the number of crap books she brings home from the
> library--even though the books she *loves* are the good ones, she still
> likes Pokemon novelizations.  Twerp.

Y'know, on one hand, I completely understand why you would want to point her
away from such books, but on the other. . . the older I get, the more I
appreciate the fact that I read _so_ many Babysitters Club Books.  I think I
devoured the first sixty or so before I outgrew them, and while on some
occasions I have regretted the amount of time that took away from me reading
other, better things, I think that overall it was worth it.  I was also a child
with ADD who loved books, and I would say that the formulaic nature of those
books gave me something to hold on to, and taught me something about the way
that writing fits together.  I would not call them works of genius or anything
approaching that, but they did help me develop a certain structure for reading
that I quite needed.  I also think that they helped me be a better writer
(though if I had read nothing else I am sure I would be quite dire), simply
because they helped me understand the very very basic structure of easily
readable writing.

This reminds me of something that happened in one of my high school writing
classes--we were asked to name an author who had helped us become better
writers.  Around me people mentioned Sartre, or Dostoyevsky, or any other
impressive name they could think of.  My answer?  Dave Barry.  He may not be
high culture (though I would still rank him _much_ higher than any of the Baby
Sitters Club authors), but I can't think of _anyone_ who does a better job at
creating a well-structured short piece--especially his opening and closing
paragraphs.

So I wouldn't worry _too_ much about the Pokemon!  It sounds like you're giving
your kids more than enough good stuff to balance it ;)

lizzie