Spirited Away and Howl

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 13:29:24 EST 2003

Months after watching the film, it's only just occurred to me that in
Spirited Away we have a film about a girl/young woman who takes refuge in a
castle (of sorts), getting a menial job there by bullying the reluctant
owner into accepting her, then making herself indispensible. She also forms
alliances with the creature responsible for powering and heating the place
and with the owner's right-hand man. Am I going crazy, or were some of the
ideas from *Howl* slopping around in Miyazake's (sp?) brain well before he
got round to doing the book proper?

Charlie