Off Topic

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 24 13:18:26 EST 2003

> I think the web has made this kind of intelligence more common - everyone
> knows the information is online somewhere - and more rare, because now
> finding good information is much harder than just finding information.

In fact, the idea that people have that all the information in the world
is online somewhere is driving librarian (who are supposed to be helping
people to find the Good Information) absolutely nuts.

In fact, the idea that everything is online recently (last couple of
years) killed someone, when a physician did an online search for the
effects of a chemical they wanted to try as a drug-- and the information
that it could cause fatal side effects was only indexed in a print source,
being more than 50 years old...

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_