Off Topic

Mon Nov 24 12:26:58 EST 2003

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:30:47 -0800 (PST), Jon Noble wrote:

> I'm sure I noticed
>> it recently, because
>> I've just been rereading *The Prince* and
>> Machiavelli says something very
>> similar (quite a recommendation).
>
>Have you read his "Discourses on Livy"? something of a
>contrast to the Prince, and possibly an expression of
>his true beliefs - in which case "The Prince" must be
>treated as a satire.

I've always thought of _The Prince_ as the ultimate practical guide to
rulership and not necessarily something Machiavelli was advocating as the
most ethical course of action.  Sort of "if you want this result, do this"
without any commentary on whether that was morally right.  I've never read
the other...maybe I should.

Melissa Proffitt