Pratchett

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Nov 19 17:05:26 EST 2003

Robyn said...

> Very cunning, if it exists. I've read a couple of comments in which he
> resists the idea that literary critics might be reading his work, but I
> wondered if that was false humility or leg-pulling.

I don't at all see why it should be either of those things.  I am a writer
(though as yet unpublished - but I'm working on it!), and the mere thought
of literary critics reading - or worse, writing about - my work gives me the
screaming heebie-jeebies!  I *don't* write Literary Fiction, and were
literary critics to praise my work, I fear that a bunch of LitFic fans would
read it and be disappointed, and a bunch of SpecFic fans would be put off
reading it altogether (*I* rarely read anything praised by The Critics).

I think it's a perfectly valid stance on Pratchett's part, and I heartily
sympathise with him.  (Then again, I write urban fantasy and even when I do
get published, am highly unlikely to attract the attention of The Critics.
Which is a great relief to me.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long
with another person."
- Horace Walpole