dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #751

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Nov 19 16:34:38 EST 2003

> > Now, admittedly, Rincewind is not my favorite character in general,
> > though
> > he's rather likeable in _Interesting Times_. Most of the rest of the
> > time
> > he's entirely too much like the men of the SF con circuit that Sharon
> > McCrumb would have given her eye-teeth to parody as convincingly in
> > _Bimbos of the Death Sun_ (Another ghastly book...)
>
> As a sort of sidelight on Rincewind's character, 'Interesting Times'
> was the first Disc book with him in it that my friend Kevin read, and
> he interpreted him as a 20something slacker character, the Generation X
> of the Discworld, providing a contrast with the ideologically fired
> youth of the Empire. Even after catching up on the other stories he
> still thinks you can read him that way. Although he concedes Rinso may
> be a bit older than he first thought.

Ah. I was born in 1968, so the slackers I grew up around were BabyBoomers.
(except for the latest ex, who, in retrospect, bears a charming if
unendurable resemblance to my father.)
Nuff said.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_