Pratchett

Wed Nov 19 12:04:52 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:03:33 -0600, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 01:23  PM, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>>
>> Melissa Proffitt
>> who has no to-read pile right now
>>

>That's got to be both a blessing and a curse!

When I have a busy week like this, it's a blessing.  But generally it's a
curse because it usually reflects a poor state of mind--if I don't have
anything I want to read next, something isn't right.

Plus I'm reduced to wandering the house going "What should I REEEEEED?" to
Jacob, who is not helpful.  Wait, I remember, it's because he does that to
me and then doesn't take any of my suggestions.

I am in the middle of _The Amulet of Samarkand_ (thanks Hallie!) and it's
very fun.  I like the demon.  Reminds me of Aahz from the Myth series, only
higher class and more malevolent.  :)  When I'm done with that, it may be
back to re-reading Pratchett again for me.  Or something.  Bleah.

AND I have finally used a DWJ book as a school assignment.  Teleri chose to
make a chart comparing the deities of Greek, Roman, Norse, and Egyptian
mythology, and it was a perfect opportunity to introduce _Eight Days of
Luke_.  I really think DWJ books are good for children because they are so
honest.  Right now we are discussing why David's family is so rotten to
him...very complex for a nine-year-old who has been raised in a loving
family.

Melissa Proffitt