Pratchett

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 18 23:03:32 EST 2003

>I read the quote in a Laurie King book.  I'm not that educated.

Wot, you didn't do Elizabethan and Jacobean Constitutional History, like I
did in first year? We read all sorts of wacky documents, from Elizabeth's
speeches to political poetry of the Levellers. I think Pratchett did that
subject, too. He has lots of Leveller references in Monstrous Regiment, but
in other books, too.

I was going to comment on how well I think Pratchett does female
protagonists. He's been doing it for a long time, too. I recently read The
Wee Free Men as well (which is about a girl), and I thought, is this a new
thing, but in fact, he has lots of them: Susan, Granny, Nanny,
Perdita/Agnes and Magrat. All strong, believable heroines.

Robyn