Pratchett

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 18 22:54:49 EST 2003

>I see these changes as being much more incremental.  He started addressing
>serious subjects as early as _Reaper Man_, and everything since that point
>(except maybe _The Last Continent_)

I have to take issue with you, there Melissa. As someone who lived for many
years in XXXX, I think there was a deeper something in that book although
most of it was a (fairly accurate) satirical portrait. The parts that were
appropriating aboriginal culture were, I think both commenting on cultural
appropriation and exploring some of the appropriated mythology.
Interestingly enough, that's one Pratchett book where he is thematically
similar to a number of writers of more "serious" fiction.

>has touched on similarly deep
>topics--war, free will, faith, racism.  But until recently I've thought that
>the serious subjects were on a secondary level--not less important, but
>disguised by the obviously humorous situation or plot.

I think that's true. I was interested in Otter's comment about the idea
that he has fans who will follow him now, so he can write more seriously.

>I would agree about _The Truth_ and I'd raise you _Carpe Jugulum_, even.
>But I think this is the first time there have been two books of a similarly
>serious nature, plot, and tone back to back (even accounting for the
>relative lightness of _Regiment_), which is what I'm really wondering: is
>the next one going to be another like the last two, or another _Thief of
>Time_?  It's not like it really matters so long as Pratchett persists in
>turning out excellent books; I'm mainly curious about where he's going.  Did
>he have a Cunning Plan or something?

Very cunning, if it exists. I've read a couple of comments in which he
resists the idea that literary critics might be reading his work, but I
wondered if that was false humility or leg-pulling.

Robyn