Pratchett

Tue Nov 18 14:22:30 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:51:57 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>I thought Monstrous Regiment was considerably lighter than Night Watch, but
>I agree that Pratchett seems to be doing much more than just playing for
>laughs. I think, though that the change was earlier. The Truth seems to be
>a book in a similar vein.

I see these changes as being much more incremental.  He started addressing
serious subjects as early as _Reaper Man_, and everything since that point
(except maybe _The Last Continent_) has touched on similarly deep
topics--war, free will, faith, racism.  But until recently I've thought that
the serious subjects were on a secondary level--not less important, but
disguised by the obviously humorous situation or plot.

I would agree about _The Truth_ and I'd raise you _Carpe Jugulum_, even.
But I think this is the first time there have been two books of a similarly
serious nature, plot, and tone back to back (even accounting for the
relative lightness of _Regiment_), which is what I'm really wondering: is
the next one going to be another like the last two, or another _Thief of
Time_?  It's not like it really matters so long as Pratchett persists in
turning out excellent books; I'm mainly curious about where he's going.  Did
he have a Cunning Plan or something?

(What it REALLY does is make me chortle at an associate who has been
borrowing my Pratchett books for his teenage son.  *He* would NEVER be
bothered with fantasy, but he's giving his kid a good education.)

Melissa Proffitt