Pratchett

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Nov 18 12:44:41 EST 2003

Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:57:47 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:
>

>>I just finished The Monstrous Regiment. A bit of a one-joke book, but the
>>joke is such a good one. It's really hard to discuss without spoilers, so
>>before I say anything, has anyone else read it?
>

> Yes.
>
> I knew what the joke was from the start, having read the full version of the
> title quote (I never get to be in on these things; I felt all smug and
> happy), but I had no idea it was going to go so *far*.  We are in the middle
> of watching the Sharpe movies starring Sean Bean and the last one we saw,
> "Sharpe's Regiment," kept bringing the Pratchett book to mind.  Especially
> the recruitment scene.
>
> Anyone know if this is a permanent change for Pratchett, away from the light
> humor toward a more serious story enlivened by humorous moments?  _Night
> Watch_ was in the same vein, so I wonder....

I think he's been doing that for quite a while.
The vast opportunities of the Discworld let him write
any book he wants, and his devoted fans [like me!] are
perfectly willing to read any book he wants to write.

I've been rereading some of the earlier books and it's
almost impossible to believe how many allusions/jokes
he can work into a small space when he's of a mind to.

But I like his other stuff, too.  The first book I read
after 9/11 was _Jingo_ [which I had read many times before.
The first movie I watched was _The Negotiator_, which was
one of the most rented videos in NYC just then.  I'd seen
it before, but it just seemed to be what I needed to watch.].

Being a devotee of certain periods of English history, I
was familiar with the quote, too.  Good old John Knox.
What a right bastard _he_ was.