Pratchett

Tue Nov 18 12:19:47 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:57:47 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>I just finished The Monstrous Regiment. A bit of a one-joke book, but the
>joke is such a good one. It's really hard to discuss without spoilers, so
>before I say anything, has anyone else read it?

Yes.

I knew what the joke was from the start, having read the full version of the
title quote (I never get to be in on these things; I felt all smug and
happy), but I had no idea it was going to go so *far*.  We are in the middle
of watching the Sharpe movies starring Sean Bean and the last one we saw,
"Sharpe's Regiment," kept bringing the Pratchett book to mind.  Especially
the recruitment scene.

Anyone know if this is a permanent change for Pratchett, away from the light
humor toward a more serious story enlivened by humorous moments?  _Night
Watch_ was in the same vein, so I wonder....

Melissa Proffitt