alternate history

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Sat Nov 15 00:00:02 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
|As far as I know nothing was particularly based on the Darkover convention.
|Sorry if this disappoints the Darkover Con organiser, but none of DWJ's
|reminiscences of that occasion are recognisably present in DS.  Fans are
|fans the world over, though, so possibly some of American fandom is much
|the same as some of British fandom.  :-)  The bits I have met are, anyhow,
|apart from the ones who weren't.  :-))

I'm sure that someone whose writing is as rich as DWJ's draws on *all*
of her experiences when she writes.  So even if bits are specifically
inspired by one memory or another, they're touched upon by all her
experiences.  So if the Darkover organizer sees bits from Deep Secret
which are particularly recognizable, no reason to think that those
elements didn't make it into the book.  Life is like that.  ;)

-deborah
--
This is St. Gulik. He is the Messenger of the Goddess. A different age from
ours called him Hermes. Many people called him by many names. He is a