umlauts

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri Nov 14 14:20:19 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/14/03 11:17:50 AM Central Standard Time, Jon Noble
writes:

> Many, many years ago when I did German at
> school our german teacher (who was German) seemed to
> think that the two dots were called an umlaut
> (although I may have misinterpreted what he said)

That was certainly the terminology used in all my German classes (four
different teachers, though only one native). I'm almost inclined to call it a casual
or slangy usage (like saying "INvite" for "invitation") rather than downright
wrong (I know, I know, lots of people think saying INvite is downright wrong,
too ;-) ).

By the way, I just recently read a teen novel, 1950's I think, in which a
couple of girls remark on the utter swooniness (or words to that effect) of the
name Jon-without-an-H.

Helen Schinske