dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #748

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Nov 13 21:13:46 EST 2003

Sarah asked...

> Perhaps this is a rude question - I really don't mean to be offensive,
> but did your parents give you the name of a fictional character *on
> purpose* for some reason?

No.  They gave me the name of a very annoying heroine from Irish myth
(Grainne).  I named myself Dorian Gray.  Well...it sorta happened.  Long
story, but basically it was a "handle" that stuck.

(And it didn't offend me, though it's a question I get asked a *lot* - along
with the jokes about pictures in attics.  When I'm feeling bitchy, I answer
the question truthfully but leave the questioner with the impression that my
parents *were* responsible for the name.  ObDWJ: see the entries in the
Skiver's Guide about lying by telling the truth!)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long
with another person."
- Horace Walpole