dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #748

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 18:00:08 EST 2003

--- Charles Butler
<hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
> Sarah:
> >Groening rhymes with complaining.
>
> That does surprise me. I'd always assumed that the
> 'e' indicated a missing
> umlaut,

strictly speaking the e indicates the umlaut itself,
the umlaut is the way the vowel is pronounced, and not
the name of the two little dots that indicate it
(something even most German speakers seem unaware of).
AFAK the two little dots don't actually have a name,
although one dictionary I checked does give their name
as umlaut in the third definition of the term.

Jon