dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #747

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Nov 12 21:29:51 EST 2003

Chris R wrote:

> I've heard it of Julius Caesar - I don't know how true
> it is. But Roman literature was written to be read out
> loud to an audience as much as to oneself, and it's
> thought that when people read to themselves, it was
> with lips moving.

Well, I've done my reply on this - St. Ambrose -
but Roman literature was written without punctuation
or spaces between words, and it must have been quite
difficult to read to oneself without moving ones lips.

A friend of mine and I read early Modern English stuff
to each other in college, and we found that it was often
easier for the hearer to figure out what some strangely
spelled word was.  I remember 'secret bootes', which
turned out to be 'secret boats'.

I used to have trouble imagining what it must be like to
have to read something out loud before it could be under-
stood, but then I realized I'm like that with music.  I
have to play it before I know what the tune is.  Or sometimes
I can sing something like it ....