pronouncing Neil Gaiman

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 18:21:00 EST 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
 Is this some thing
> like pronouncing the surname "Sidebottom",
> "siddy-both-arm"?

I've taught two Sidebottoms over the years - not the
same family, and both have pronounced their name side
bottom. The first was teased quite mercilessly about
his name, but as he was a real pain in the arse anyway
I doubt if any strange pronounciation would have
prevented that. In his case he had a brother who
attended the school my daughter went to and i think he
pronounced his name differently, was quite a nice kid
and wasn't teased. The second one is perhaps fortunate
(in a strange way) to be a quadriplegic so no one
teases him about anything - even when he deliberately
runs over their feet in his wheel chair.

Jon