dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #742

Wed Nov 12 12:41:43 EST 2003

From: "Kathleen Jennings" <s368333 at student.uq.edu.au>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:35:02 +1000
Subject: Re: Paging...

Thanks all - I know she's on one of my lists and I thought it was DWJ. Maybe
not. I've just signed up for my First Ever convention (Conflux in Canberra)
and her name was on the list of panellists.
I'm very excited.
I lent my older sister Deep Secret (and Fahrenheit 451) and have high
hopes - I got her reading Pratchett last time she visited. Does anyone know
of some "literary" fantasy (or sf) that she might be able to use to wean her
reading group onto specfic?

I'd suggest "A Well-Favored Man" by Elizabeth Willey (and its sequels, A
Sorcerer and a Gentleman and The Price of Blood and Honor.)  There are lots
of literary references to Shakespeare and the writing style is also
Shakespearean (to me) though the plots are perhaps more like Jacobean
dramas.

Alison